Trondheim Events and Festivals 2013 / 2014
(Trondheim, Sor-Trondelag, Norway)
Many special events and cultural festivals take place each year in Trondheim, along with seasonal concerts, regular theatrical events, exhibitions, and pilgrimages to the Nidaros Cathedral. Even in the winter months, there are still many things to do in Trondheim, particularly for those who enjoy nightlife.
Since Trondheim contains a large student population, there are a huge number of nightclubs spread around the city, with both the Frakken on the Dronningens and the Rio on the Nordre Gate being especially popular. Those who prefer something a little more cultured should check out the city's main theatre, the Trondelag Teater, which is actually the most historic theatre in the whole of Northern Europe still being used today.
For the latest festivals taking place around Trondheim during your stay, the local Adresseavisen is a good place to check for event listings. Some of the biggest annual festivals in Trondheim include the Olavsfestdagene (St. Olav Festival), which takes place each year at the end of July / beginning of August, a features a bustling medieval market.
Every other year, some 25,000 students from the city's Norwegian University of Science and Technology take part in the three-week celebrations of the ISFiT UKA (International Student Festival in Trondheim), which is actually Norway's leading cultural festival. This endless party consists of many lively events, where all from Trondheim are welcome. These include plays, concerts and many other fun festivities, taking place around the student centre (Studentersamfundet).
Trondheim National Public Holidays
- New Year's Day (Nyttarsdag) - January 1st
- Maundy Thursday (Skjaertorsdag) - March / April
- Good Friday (Langfredag) - March / April
- Easter Monday (Andre Paskedag) - March / April
- Labour Day (Forste Mai) - May 1st
- Constitution Day (Nasjonaldag) - May 17th
- Ascension Day (Kristi Himmelfartsdag) - May / June
- Whit Monday (Andre Pinsedag) - May / June
- Christmas Day (Forste Juledag) - December 25th
- Boxing Day (Andre Juledag) - December 26th